Saturday, April 17, 2010

Long live the Queen

In P-town, the rule is that you have to be 5 by September 1st to start kindergarten, which Eve misses by a couple of weeks. There is a process for petitioning/testing to start early, but we've decided not to push it. If the rule was, like some other states, that you have to be 5 by some later date, and Eve had to start kindergarten this fall, I think she would do just fine. But I'm ok with putting it off another year. I really don't think that being the youngest in her class would be good for her. And I think another year of "freedom" will be fun. We've signed her up for a nice pre-K program here in the neighborhood (what a relief to be off that waitlist!) But it's just mornings, 3 days a week. For Willa's first year, we'll be using a medley of Mommy, Daddy, and Grandma days to avoid daycare. So even though she'll have "competition" in the form of a baby sister, I think Eve be excited to spend so much time with us. As lovely as her current school is, she still openly prefers "Mommy-days" (my days off) to school days. Can't say that bothers me- I prefer Mommy-days too.

We've registered for a few things at Babies R Us. There isn't much we need, as I have been hoarding all of Eve's things for years. But there are a few things that we never had with Eve that could come in handy this time around, so there you have it. I didn't register for a lot of clothes, but keep in mind that Eve was born in the fall, so most of her super-cute 0-3 and 3-6 outfits were long-sleeved. We only have a couple of summery dresses/rompers in the smallest sizes. So there you go. We do have plenty of short-sleeved onesies, though, because I used them for layering with Eve.

Eve's new favorite movie is Cars. She watches it (or at least part of it) every day. We recorded it on our DVR, so the DVD would be a good gift, as would the soundtrack, toys, socks, stickers, whatever. This craze for "Lightning the Queen", as Eve calls him, has eclipsed former obsessions (to my surprise). Six months ago, Eve was all about princesses and dance classes. Now, it's Cars and baseball class. No telling what she'll be into next- but I love just being along for the ride.

No comments: