Saturday, February 16, 2008

How about a future artist?

Eve drew a picture tonight. It looked like two faces. I asked her, "Tell me about your picture!" And she said, "It's just some funny faces." It can't have been accidental, because there were two of them. She can draw actual things! I love the abstract, expressive art she's always done, and I try not to push my ideas into her creative space, but it is a big milestone for her to set out to draw something and have her picture turn out how she imagined it (or at least be recognizable). Drawings of cats and trains (maybe cats riding trains?) are probably not far behind.

We were cleaning up some stickers that she had spilled- they're mostly letters and numbers. She pointed to a "2" and said, "Mommy, pick up that 2." So apparently she's been paying attention! She's getting better at recognizing letters, and she can usually tell when a letter is oriented the right way, even if she can't say for sure which letter it is. But this was the first time she so casually identified either a letter or a number.

Just for the record (because I'm not writing any of this down elsewhere at the moment), Eve has all eight incisors, her first-year molars (4), and her top 2 canines. She still needs her bottom canines and her second-year molars to complete the set.

No comments: