Saturday, February 23, 2008

No no no, I'll do it!

Eve has been big on doing things herself lately. This does cause problems when she has a huge fit when things don't work out how she imagined. But mostly it's great, and it includes using the potty (hooray!). She's had a lot of success in that department lately. Not quite ready for trainers, but getting there.

She has a cup, a spoon, and a (clean, empty) cottage cheese tub that she plays with at bathtime. Tonight she was stirring away and announced, "I'm making tea for you, Mom." "Thank you! I love tea." "I know. That's why I'm making it for you."

You'll note that I'm "Mom" now (especially when she's in big girl mode). I do miss being "Mommy" a little bit.

As I was working in the kitchen, Eve was playing in her playroom, sort of independently, when she started saying, "Hey, Mom, what's this? Hey, Mom, what's this?" She was looking at a book that's filled with photos of everyday things. She was pointing at a pair of shoes. I said, "Eve, you know what those are. I bet you know everything in this book." So we went through the whole book, and she knew almost everything. There was a picture of a fork and spoon which she initially thought were pencils. I said, "Oops, no, you eat with them." To which she responded, "Oh, it's silverware." I'm surprised she didn't say "utensils".

When we add a new book to the bedtime library, Dave often ends up reading it five or six times in a row. The most recent example is "And if the moon could talk", which has a line, "Nomads crouching by the dunes." And this bugs Eve, because she sees them in the picture- "But there ARE mads! Right there!"

She finally will drink liquids other than milk. Hooray for water and juice! Tonight she ate roasted turnips and pronounced them good. Last night, she ate almost two entire dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes. She ate oatmeal (with tiny candy dinosaur eggs) for breakfast today. Hooray for root vegetables and food shaped like dinosaurs!

No comments: