Eve and I went to a birthday party on Sunday. It was at a local community center, and it was a well-organized, kid-friendly mix of free play, the giant parachute, and snack/cake time. During the cake time, two young employees of the community center were on hand to do face painting and make balloon animals. Eve was uninterested in having her face painted, but waited patiently for her turn with the balloon guy. I wasn't within earshot, as I had taken a solemn oath to guard her cheese while she was gone. But one of my friends related the following to me:
Balloon guy: What would you like?
Eve: Medusa.
Balloon guy: I... can make you a dog or a hat.
Eve: Hat.
Fortunately, the hat had a bit sticking up that could be interpreted as a snake, so Eve quite happily pretended that she was Medusa, after all.
I read a picture book version of the Medusa story to Eve a long time ago, only once. But it made an impression, I guess. We sometimes play "Medusa" as a variation on freeze tag. Eve still has a baby-ish lisp when she makes an "s" sound, so her Medusa sounds a little like "th-th-th-th". I don't know what made her think of it this weekend, though, and I wonder if there's a balloon guy in the world that has ever considered trying to make a Medusa.
*************************************************************************************
Answered my own question:
Balloon Medusa
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment