Tonight was the talent show for Eve's school. Now, this is a K-5 school, but apparently the talent show is a long-running tradition. It almost didn't happen this year, because the stage at her school is being used for other things, due to the general lack of space (don't get me started). But the mom in charge of the talent show did not give up so easy (the show must go on) and found a nearby school which had a very nice auditorium that they were happy to let us use!
Now, you all know that Eve can be very mouse-like when the situation calls for speaking up. So I was pleased and a bit surprised when she reacted with great enthusiasm when I initially told her about the talent show, a month or so ago. Her ideas for acts needed a little refining (she originally wanted to do a single cartwheel- and she can't even do a proper cartwheel- it's more of a rotational flopping movement). I suggested doing some jokes, and she seemed to like that idea. She selected several of her favorite knock-knock jokes, and added a couple of original jokes and a magic trick. She practiced her act in front of her stuffed animals, and seemed to enjoy the first rehearsal at school.
Then, one day, she came home in tears, begging me to "unsign her up". What the heck? It took a while for me to uncover what had happened- one of her good friends also initially wanted to be in the show, but this friend had decided not to because she was too nervous about it. SO, now it had occurred to Eve to be nervous too!
I was a little conflicted- I'm not some sort of Tiger mom, forcing my child to perform in order to win my approval... but I really felt like this was something Eve COULD do, and the fact that she had been excited about it at first made me unwilling to just "unsign her up". I asked her- if she was Plum Pudding, and I was Strawberry Shortcake, what do you think I would say? And she knew- YOU CAN DO IT. There was a lot of discussion, and in the end, she decided to shorten her act to just three knock-knock jokes. And Papa let her practice her act at a Lenten dinner at church, and that went well. Daddy went with her to the dress rehearsal, and accompanied her onstage. After the dress rehearsal, there were no more tears, and she even seemed excited again!
Like I said, the show was tonight. She was great! The whole show was actually pretty amazing, and a fun opportunity for the kids to shine. The acts included hula hooping, a nose flutist, Scottish highland dancing, lots of musical acts (from Les Mis to Katy Perry), two little girls who did tongue twisters, martial arts, and much more. And knock-knock jokes, of course.
Watch her on YouTube here.
We went out for pizza and ice cream afterward, and we were all giddy with that post-performance high. Eve even told a knock-knock joke to the waiter! So much fun.
I will let her decide, but I do hope that she decides to participate again next year. Maybe next year, she can get out on stage without Daddy...
Friday, March 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved that!!!! What a knock knock out! I want to hear more of those jokes tomorrow:)
Post a Comment