Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ay Caramba!

Eve went to her first movie in a movie theater today! Horton Hears A Who. It was free, but I spent $14 on concessions, so it all worked out, I guess. Eve seemed to really enjoy the experience (big screen, foldy seats, popcorn, etc). But...

Dave: What did you do today?
Eve: We went to a movie!
Dave: Wow! What movie did you see?
Eve: It was a scary one!

I have to say, though, that it was a pretty good movie. And although there were some scary moments and mean characters, nobody dies. She wept recently when we read Don Gato, which has been one of my favorite songs ever since I learned it in elementary school. During grad school, I even taught myself to play it on the guitar, so as to have a talent to "share" at parties. Here are the lyrics, but the main point is that Don Gato dies, for one and a half verses, before being reanimated by the smell of fish at the market. In my defense, I want to point out that SHE selected the book from the library, not me. (I guess that's not a great defense, now that I think about it. Oh well. It'll probably come up in a therapy session someday.)

Today also marked the longest trike-ride she's ever embarked on- up to this point she's rarely made it around the block. Something made her set her sights a little higher, I wish I knew what it was... she asked if she could ride her bike all the way to the park (it's about half a mile). I told her it was fine with me, and that she should go for it! She did it. I carried the bike most of the way home, but still, what an accomplishment! The sweetest part was that she really had it all planned out, and was confident from the very beginning. She would tell me at every intersection, "Now I'm going to stop my bike, and LOOK BOTH WAYS for cars, and THEN cross the street." And a couple of times, as we passed under a tree, she would announce, "I feel tired. It is good to find a shady place." And she would park her bike and rest for a moment, before pressing onward. My favorite, though, was something Grandma J says quite often when they're out for walks, "Argh! No curb cut!"

We saw a dad and daughter go by on one of these. We're looking forward to trying that someday, too!

No comments: