We're coming up on Eve's fourth birthday. I know it's a cliche, but I CAN NOT believe it. She's such a KID now.
For those of you hoping for some suggestions for gifty stuff, here goes:
Clothes-
Shirts and dresses: 4T
Pants and skirts: 3T
Shoes: 9
Favored colors and such: Blue, pink, sparkles, flowery prints
She has recently begun to identify some of her clothes as too boyish, according to her. Blue is still beloved, but plaid (even if it is pink) is right out, as are plain dark colors.
She still likes novelty socks.
Favorite TV shows, licensed characters, etc:
Backyardigans, Magic Schoolbus, Olivia, Tigger & Pooh, Sid the Science Kid, Hello Kitty
Also loves fairy tales, and stories about "little folk" and other magical creatures
Toys, etc-
I asked her if there is anything she is hoping for, and she could not think of anything. Then I gave her a toy catalog, and she wanted one of everything (no exaggeration). After I put the catalog away, and asked her what ONE thing she'd like to have, she identified some unreasonably expensive blocks that they have at her school. But she does LOVE blocks, so I'm thinking it could be time for my big girl to move up to Legos.
Her tastes have not changed much- she still loves arts & crafts, stickers, all sorts of toys and games, outdoor play, books, typical kid stuff. Resist (if you can, I know first-hand how hard it is) the impulse to enable Eve's stuffed animal problem. They're like tribbles, and we have enough.
***********************************************************************************
In Eve's own words, we had "quite an adventure" yesterday. After bathtime, Eve got her jammies on, as usual. But then, instead of stories and bedtime, we WENT OUT! Eve was elated and awed to be driving around at bedtime. I explained that we were going to drive away from the city lights to see a meteor shower. She thought I was talking about "meat-eaters", and when I explained what a meteor is, she offered this synthesis:
When the dinosaurs died, they turned into rocks, but only the meat-eaters, and the rocks are in outer space, and then the meat-eaters fall into holes and then pirates bury them.
Makes sense to me. Anyway, we drove around for a while looking for a good spot to watch, and initially found ourselves at a rest stop in the Columbia Gorge near Multnomah Falls. Eve gazed at the stars for a few minutes, repeating "this is quite an adventure" ad nauseum, then began to complain about the cold, and to roll around, ignoring the sky completely. Then we decided to leave, because of the sprinklers. Dave had seen a handful, I had seen only one, and Eve had seen precisely none. I said I wished we could watch a little longer, because I wanted to see more than one, and I wanted Eve to know what the big deal was. She said, "I thought laying on the ground and looking at the stars was the big deal." My abstract explanations of bits of rock burning up in our atmosphere had clearly left the coolest part un-emphasized- it looks like a SHOOTING STAR!
We found another, unsprinklered place to lay down. This time, we ALL watched, and all three of us saw two more shooting stars. Then, we heard a vicious woodland creature sharpening its fangs in the gloomy forest (or it might have been a deer, hard to tell in the dark), and Eve announced, "OK, I've seen two, let's go."
Sleep and bedtime issues have always been a challenge with Eve. But there are times when having a night-owl is a definite plus. I doubt that there are many parents who can take their almost-four-year-olds out until 11:30 watching shooting stars.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment