Sunday was overcast but dry- we went to the pumpkin patch extraordinaire at Fir Point Farms. I thought we'd spend an hour or two. We stayed for more like four hours, and only left because Eve was about asleep on her feet. In addition to the requisite field of pumpkins, there were farm animals to pet and feed, wagon rides, Hazel's Nut House (imagine a ball pit, but with hazelnuts, in a wood shed), a "pirate" ship (which looked an awful lot like Noah's Ark, what with all the animal pairs painted on it), a clown show (he was good- he had the 4-to-10-year-old set screaming with laughter- but Eve just stared), and a very tall hay slide (you go down the chute on a burlap sack and land in a pile of hay). And that's just the stuff we actually did. There were lots of other activities to choose from. The whole thing was quirky, well-organized, family-friendly, and super-fun.
You buy tickets for the activities. We had bought a value pack of 25, chose our activities, and the grand finale was Dave and Eve sliding down the hay slide. Well, she HAD to slide AGAIN. So we bought 7 more tickets so that she and I could slide. I know we spoil her a little, but that little shriek of excitement was worth it.
Eve is into finding matches (pairs) lately. Not just routine stuff like shoes. She pointed out two pumpkin decorations that matched, "Two the same. It matches!" She has a tattoo right now that is the emblem of the Veterans' Wheelchair Games. Today I wore my sweatshirt which bears the same emblem. She said, "Mommy's shirt has a tattoo on it." I made her a Memory-style deck of cards with letters (2 cards of each letter), and she has been matching letters happily. She can even play Memory a little bit- you have to keep it to 4 pairs (eight cards) or less, and she doesn't get all of the rules, but she can remember where a matching card is when she finds its mate, which seems scary-smart to me. Sometimes I get goosebumps- no joke- the hairs on my neck stood up at least twice today.
She got out a book of Mother Goose nursery rhymes tonight, which Dave says he read to her last week some time- it is not one of our "regulars". The first rhyme was "The Three Little Kittens". She "read", "Where mittens go? No pie." Which is a darn good summary. But the picture could help with that, since the Mommy cat was holding the pie that the kittens could not have (until they found their mittens). However, then Eve turned the page and said, "Doo-doo-doo-doo!" I took this as nonsense, until I read the text. "Doodle, doodle, doo- The Queen has lost her shoe." Um, whoa. There's no clue about that in the picture. She remembered it from having Dave read it to her once, a week ago. More goosebumps.
We had a lot of fun this evening acting out "Little Miss Muffet". I love the fluid capacity she has for make-believe. The coffee table was a tuffet. A plastic train tunnel was a bowl of curds and whey. And I was a spider (although I was better at tickling Miss Muffet than frightening her away.)
No comments:
Post a Comment